Friday, November 28, 2014

Playing with Made-Fabric

        While I am trying to decide what type of border to add next to my hexagon quilt,
   I spent time playing with made-fabric for another quilt border. 

Thinking that I wanted to create some free-formed nine patches, first I made-fabric by sewing together neutral strips of various widths.


Then I cut out 10.5” squares and layered them with whole 10.5” squares. Next I sliced twice, shuffled and sewed them back together.


Next I stacked and sliced again. 


Then shuffled and sewed.  I trimmed these to 6.5” squares.

I sewed together pieces that had been trimmed off to create more squares.

Here is the border on the top. 



      The center star was made using a technique called “fast-and-easy made-fabric” from Victoria Findlay Wolfe’s book 15 Minutes of Play: Improvisational Quilts on page 44. 

This top is about 48" by 54" so it is a good size for small lap or baby quilt and not too large for a wall-hanging.  
Hope you find 15 minutes or more to play with fabric. 


No comments:

Post a Comment