Monday, October 27, 2014

Star Hot Pad and More

     I  luckily happened upon YouTube video directions by Crouton Crafts for this star hot pad.
I used a muslin base 8 ½” sq. fabric and marked the lines that he folds.  Then I marked the guide lines which from the center measure 1 ½”, ¾”, ¾”, and ¾” in each of the 8 directions.

A fat quarter of each fabric is plenty.   For the center fabric cut 5 squares 3”.  Next are 8 squares 3 ½”, 8 squares 4”, and 8 squares 4 ½”. 

They are folded into Prairie Points with the folds meeting in the center.  
Instead of sewing the prairie points down, I used water soluble glue stick then sewed the last round.
Next you quilt in the ditch (between the folds) from one edge all the way across the middle to the other edge so it only takes 4 quilting lines.
Front

 
Back stitching
I need to add backing and binding.  Not sure it needs batting.  I might quilt the backing to batting before adding.  Thinking this print will look good on the back. I promise to share a photo when it is finished.

These are so easy and beautiful, I plan to make more for gifts. 

You can find almost anything on the internet and I also found directions for a larger star pad.  I have not tried it yet.



Jacquelynne is offering a free BOM.  Info for the first block came out today.  It looks like fun.   It is not too late to sign up.  You can check it out here - http://jacquelynnesteves.com/sew-sweet-simplicity-free-block-of-the-month/


No comments:

Post a Comment