Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Rag Quilting and Another Finish

     At GCQ general meeting Tuesday we had Sharon Cooper-Murray, “The Gullah Lady”, for our program.  She is a great storyteller.  She is on a mission to preserve rag quilting and started the Community Rag Quilters Preservation Initiative on Wadmalaw and Johns Island, SC.  

After her presentation we were each encouraged to participate in the making of a rag quilt by using a large nail to insert a strip of fabric through burlap and tie a double knot. 


Following are a few of her art pieces made using the rag quilting technique on burlap. 




      For show and tell I showed my stacks quilt without the binding.  I followed Tula Pink’s directions for the 18” blocks.  Today it has binding and is completely finished. 


To try something different that I had seen from Jacquie Gering, I quilted it using my walking foot and the serpentine stitch on my sewing machine.

No comments:

Post a Comment