Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Trying New Things


    This morning was sew day for my church quilt group.  I have been saving pieced columns to try out a technique that I have never tried – “quilt as you go”.  It is not new but I have seen it twice recently published.   I sandwiched the backing and batting as usual then marked the center with perpendicular lines.  I pinned the center vertical strip on the line, then pinned the next strip right sides together and stitched through all the layers.


 That row of stitching sewed the columns together and quilted them at the same time, therefore the name “quilt as you go”.  I have only stitched 2 columns and already I can tell this will never be my favorite technique. 

     This afternoon I sandwiched a child’s comfort quilt so that I could try out a new background free-motion design called “Flowing Glass” from Leah Day. 


You probably can’t see the quilting very well in the photo.  Today was the first time I have tried it, but I was not comfortable with how to get it to flow across a much larger area than Leah works. I am still hoping to find a new interesting overall design to use on a full size bed quilt. 

No comments:

Post a Comment