Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Adding Dresden Plates - Altering Woodpile Top

    I have company here for the week to help give my mother some attention so I thought I would have more time to sew but that has not yet come true.  I have been sidetracked from other projects to work on the Woodpile top.  I do love brown and have made a couple of all or mostly brown quilts that I love.   However, before I got to add the borders for the brown Woodpile top, I started thinking that it needed something to brighten it up for the Hospice unit. 
    I  love Australian quilters, Kathy Doughty and Anna Maria Horner’s pattern designs “Indian Summer” and “Garden Party” so I was inspired to add several bright Dresden plates to the Woodpile quilt top.  They are not yet appliquéd.  I am still undecided about the border.  In the photo you may see a patch of stripe inner border and a brown for the outer border that is being considered.  

One note about piecing Dresden plates.  To make them lay flat, I sewed a quarter and trimmed them to 45 degrees.

Next sew 2 quarters and trim to 180 degrees - straight angle.  Then the halves go together nicely. 
  

Now I will get back to making floral pinwheel blocks.

1 comment: