Saturday, February 18, 2012

One Block Wonder with Purple Tree Finished

    The GCQ guild challenge for 2011 was to finish our UFOs.  I finished about 9 from my list and the one I pulled out in December was a One Block Wonder top. One Block Wonders are created using the Stack N’ Whack method with equilateral triangle pieces ( the one block ).  Because you stack 6 identical layers of fabric, the 6 triangles form a hexagon with a swirl effect.  My top was pieced and left unfinished for about 2 years.  Then I was inspired by a lecture at the NC Quilt Symposium by fiber artist, Cynthia Corbin.  I drafted slices on a photo of the pieced panel, used my rotary cutter and sewed in purple tree branches.
Here is the BEFORE photo:

and here it is now - FINISHED !

Here is a close-up of the free-motion quilting in the borders.

1 comment:

  1. it looks great. cant wait to see it at guild ont Tuesday.

    ReplyDelete